1. Agriculture and allied activities contribute to country’s GDP about 14.2%.
2. Silvi Culture is the scientific management of forests for continuous production of concerned products.
3. Agriculture in our country provides livelihood to 60% of the population.
4. India is the largest producer, processor, consumer and exporter of Cashew in the world.
5. As per the final estimates, the production of foodgrains during 2008-09 stood at 234.47 million tones.
6. National Food for Work Programme was launched on November 14, 2004.
7. Top producer of pulses in india - Madhya Pradesh.
8. Agmark is an acronym for agricultural marketing. This organization certifies food products for their quality.
9. In making the saffron spice the parts of the plant which is used – Stigma.
10. The Ministry of Agriculture established the Animal Welfare Board of India at Chennai.
11. Cotton in india grows best on black soil.
12. The largest producer of chillies in the world is India.
13. The ideal temperature for the growth of sugarcane is 20-30oC.
14. Kerala accounts for 90% of India’s rubber production.
15. Operation flood is concerned with the improving the availability of milk in the cities.
16. The most important resin producing state in india is – Himachal Pradesh.
17. U.P. has the largest area under irrigation in terms of total acreage.
18. Gujrat has the largest proportion of its net irrigated area under well irrigation.
19. Kerala is the leading producer of ginger.
20. Andhra Pradesh is the leading producer of red chillies.
21. U.P. is called the sugar bowl of India.
22. Kerala is the leading producer of coconut.
23. The country is estimated to have harvested a record 235.88 million tonnes of foodgrains in the 2010-11 crop year. In 2010-11, the country produced 30.2 million tonnes of oilseeds and 17.2 million tonnes of pulses, 94.5 million tonnes of rice and 84 million tonnes of wheat and maize production was 30 million tonnes, sugarcanes 340 million tonnes and cotton 39 million bales.
24. India coffee export increased nearly by 60% to touch 3,25,116 tonnes in 2010-11. This is the highest quantity ever exported by the country.
25. In India, the seeds of Green Revolution were first tested in the drought year of 1964-65.
26. Rice is a - Tropical plant.
27. The first state in the country to address the agriculture sector in such a big way with the setting up the specific cabinet on agriculture - Bihar.